IT'S TIME TO GET INVOLVED...
And join the Cancer Research Society CRS Challenge great adventure!
Welcome! You will find here everything you need to register or support a participant of the 2023 edition of "Grand tour of Mont-Blanc".
Grand tour of Mont-Blanc
June 13 - 24, 2023
Duration of the trip
Level of difficulty
This challenge begins in Switzerland where you will discover Mont Blanc, the highest peak of Western Europe. During your 12-day expedition, you will encounter lakes and mountains more magnificent than the next. Without ever leaving the majestic Mont Blanc from sight, standing tall afar in the landscape, your adventure will take you up to 3,779 meters and through three countries, with the last leg taking you to France’s Chamonix. This intermediate challenge will leave you with unforgettable images that will forever echo in your soul.
- Day 1: MONTREAL - GENEVA : Participants meet at Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport in Montreal. Registration assistance followed by your flight to Geneva. Dinner and breakfast served on overnight flight.
- Day 2: GENEVA - CHAMONIX : Arrival at Geneva airport. Transfer by private bus (20 min.) to your hotel in Chamonix. Hotel accommodation. Dinner included.
- Day 3: CHAMONIX – LAC DES CHÉSERYS AND LAC BLANC - ARGENTIERE : Transfer from Chamonix by local shuttle bus to Montroc station. From there it’s a gradual climb to the ledges of Mont Blanc where you’ll be greeted by an exceptional view of the valley, glaciers and the legendary peaks of the Alps. At the renowned Lac des Chéserys and Lac Blanc (2352 m), take time to contemplate the majesty of the Alps. The decent into Argentière is well marked and quite steep. Hotel accommodation. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Elevation gain: + 1000m, - 1100m / Approximate duration: 6 hrs.
- Day 4: ARGENTIERE - THE POSETTES - BALME COLLAR - TRIENT : From Argentière (1244 m), transfer by local shuttle bus to Tré-le-Champ hamlet. Walk to the Aiguillette des Posettes (2201 m) via the ridges of Frettes with its many variants to reach the French border at Col de Balme (2191 m) where you’ll be greeted by another magnificent view of the summit and the Chamonix valley. Overlooking a sea of ice and the Argentière Glacier it’s one of the most picturesque on Mont Blanc! Cross the border into Switzerland then descend to the village of Trient. Accommodation at an Auberge. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Elevation gain: + 1000m - 1200m / Approximate duration: 6:30hrs.
- Day 5: TRIENT - BOVINE – CHAMPEX : Today, two itineraries are offered, weather permitting: the fenêtre d’Arpette (2665 m), a narrow and busy pass which opens onto impressive icefalls at the Glaciers du Trient and des Grands, or, in the case of inclement weather, a foray into the magnificent Swiss alpine pastures of Bovine (2050 m). At the end of the day, you will visit the village of Champex and its scenic lake. Accommodation at an Auberge. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Elevation: 800 to 1400m - 700 to 1200m / Approximate uration: 5:30 to 8hrs.
- Day 6: CHAMPEX - PRAZ-DE-FORT - LA FOULY : This is the shortest stage of your journey and will allow you take it easy mid-way through your trip. Crossing the alpine pastures of Val Ferret on a pleasant trail, visit typical Swiss hamlets along the way. The main effort of the day is return from the village of Praz-de-Fort to La Fouly. Accommodation at an Auberge. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Altitude difference: + 650m - 680m / Approximate duration: 4:30hrs.
- Day 7: LA FOULY - GRAND COL FERRET – ELENA REFUGE - BONATTI REFUGE : Ascents to Col Ferret (2537 m) then cross the Italian border. Descend to Elena Refuge (2061 m), on to Arnava, at the foot of Mount Dolent (3820 m), then to the Bonatti Refuge (2025 m) with its spectacular sunsets, via mountain ledges. Accommodation, dormitory style with shared bathroom. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Altitude difference: + 1250m -800m / Approximate duration: 6:30hrs.
- Day 8: BONATTI REFUGE – BERTONE REFUGE - COURMAYEUR : Crossing towards the Bertone Refuge (2000 m), discover one of the most picturesque panoramas of Mont Blanc, the famous Grandes Jorasses. Descend to Courmayeur, the capital of the Italian Alps. Hotel accommodation. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Elevation gain: + 250m -1075m / Approximate duration: 4 hrs.
- Day 9: COURMAYEUR - LA SEIGNE - THE CHAPIEUX : On the agenda today are the breathtaking views of the Mont Blanc summit and the hanging glaciers, so characteristic of the Italian slopes. It’s a short transfer by local bus to La Visaille, then cross the Vény Valley to Lake Combal (1950 m). Ascent to Col de la Seigne (2516 m), the border between France and Italy, via pastures, to reach the Chapieux hamlet (1549 m). Accommodation at an Auberge. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Altitude difference: + 950m - 750m / Approximate duration: 5:30hrs.
- Day 10: THE CHAPIEUX – COL DE LA CROIX -DU-BONHOMME – NOTRE-DAME-DE-LA-GORGE - LES CONTAMINES-MONTJOIE : The climb to the Col de la Croix-du- Bonhomme (2433 m) leads to a superb passage to the north of the Alp, where you will ride on horseback between Mont Blanc and the Beaufortain Mountains. Enjoy a magnificent panoramic view of Mount Pourri (3779 m). The descent passes by Col du Bonhomme (2329 m). A gradual descent to Notre-Dame-de-la-Gorge via an old Roman road, an ancestral path once used by venders that link the two alpine valleys. Short transfer to Contamines-Montjoie. Hotel accommodation. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Altitude difference: + 950m, - 1300m / Approximate duration: 6:30hrs.
- Day 11: LES CONTAMINES-MONTJOIE - COL DU TRICOT-BELLEVUE - LES HOUCHES : On your final day, you will circumvent Mount Truc (1811 m) to reach the rural village of Miage (1559 m). Then climb a steep path to the Col du Tricot (2120 m). Take a break to enjoy the breathtaking views of the Contamines-Montjoie valley, hike on to Bellevue (1780 m) by way of a spectacular crossing under the Bionnassay glacier. Descend by cable car to Les Houches, it’s then a short transfer by local shuttle to Chamonix. Hotel accommodation. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. Altitude difference: + 1250m - 600m / Approximate duration: 6hrs.
- Day 12: CHAMONIX - GENEVA : After lunch, transfer by private van to Geneva airport, and then board the plane for your return flight to Montreal.
The CRS Challenge program is a series of fundraising travel campaigns to benefit the cancer research. Program participants have the opportunity to take on physically challenging expeditions, and in the process dig a little deeper into their own souls. The challenge for participants is twofold: (1) to push their physical limits; and (2) to raise substantial funds for cancer research.