IT'S TIME TO GET INVOLVED...
And join the Cancer Research Society CRS Challenge great adventure!
Welcome! You will find here everything you need to register or support a participant of the 2021 edition of the Magdalen Islands Challenge.
A Trek in the Magdalen Islands
September 18 to 25, 2021
Duration of the trip
Level of difficulty
Discover breathtaking landscapes on this world-renowned archipelago.
On this magnificent trip to the heart of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, you will find everything: beautiful landscapes, good food, cultural activities, shops and cafes, long beaches where you can walk and contemplate nature by the sea. You will discover beautiful panoramas dotted with houses with traditional and colorful architecture of which the local inhabitants are very proud.
In 2015, Madelinot walkers who had walked the paths of Compostela came together to develop a long hiking trail through the Islands. The founding committee, made up of Carole Longuépée, Carole Turbide, Fernande Petitpas, Claire Boudreau, Réal Jomphe and Jean Bouffard, were joined by a team of volunteers to ensure the sustainability, maintenance and improvement of the trails.
- DAY 1: Montreal to Magdalen Islands : Participants meet at the airport in Montreal with your accompanying guide from Contact Amérique who will be your hiking guide throughout your stay. Flight to the Magdalen Islands. Welcome to the airport by your driver and transfer to Château Madelinot for the first 3 nights on the Islands. Dinner at the Château and meet with your guide to plan the next day's hike. Dinner included
- DAY 2: Hiking at North Pond and Fatima : Breakfast at the Château then a short bus transfer to the microbrewery at the L’Abri de la Tempête, founded in 2002 by two women from the Islands and located in a former crab processing plant overlooking the West Dune. You will walk towards the beach where you will discover the shipwreck of the Corfu Island, washed ashore in 1963. You will then take grass trails and secondary roads to the site of the Coast where the North Pond Harbor is located. This is where the magnificent sculpture of the Fishermen's Monument is located. On the Coast, you will follow the coastline towards Cap Hérissé. Take a short detour to see the lighthouse up close and admire the cliffs of Belle-Anse. You will cross the village of Fatima, then hook towards the Canton of Cap Vert before continuing on foot towards the Château Madelinot. Dinner while hiking. Dinner and night at the Château. Three meals included. Distance: 19.7 km
- DAY 3: Hiking in Hâvre-aux-Maisons : Breakfast at the Château then transfer by bus to the south Dune-du-Sud road stop. Rumor has it that there is a lost treasure on this island; will you find it? You will take several small roads through which you will discover magnificent views. Along the way, you will pass close to shops that will offer local products. Lunch, stop at the Barbocheux for your picnic dinner. The Barbocheux will be more than happy to tell you of his history. You will be able to taste his products and even bring back them as a souvenir. This day ends near a pretty marina from where you will walk to the Château Madelinot. Dinner and night at the Château. 20.7km. Three meals included.
- DAY 4: Hiking at Bay Place : Breakfast at the Château that you will leave in the morning with your suitcases. Short transfer to the starting point of your hike at Place des gens de mers in Cap-aux-Meules. Meanwhile, your suitcases are being transported to the Chez Denis à François inn where you will stay for 2 nights. You will walk along the Littoral Trail and on small side roads to reach the beautiful beach of La Martinique, 13 km long. Your hike ends at the Les Araynes restaurant where your driver awaits you. Transfer by bus to the Auberge Denis à François for dinner and overnight. Picnic dinner while hiking. 22.5 km. Three meals included
- DAY 5: Hiking at Sandy Hook : Lunch at the hostel then departure by bus to the restaurant Les Araynes, the starting point of your hike. Today you will discover the mounds of the Demoiselles, which offer a magnificent view of the surroundings. Then you continue near the historic site of La Grave (you should arrange to have time to spend a few hours there during your stay). You will go to the beach where the sandcastle competition is held annually before embarking on a long walk on the Sandy Hook. You will feel at the end of the world... and understand why when you reach the "end of the bench." Picnic dinner at the tip of Sandy Hook. Return to your hostel on foot for supper and night. 22.7 km. Three meals included
- DAY 6: Hiking in Basin : Lunch at the hostel, then departure by bus with your suitcases to the church of Bassin, starting point of the hike. Your suitcases are then taken to your last accommodation, for two nights at the Auberge la Salicorne at Grande Entrée. Today, you will crisscross the roads between sea and mounds, a route offering marvelous views on the colorful houses of the region. The wharf and lighthouse of L'Anse-à-la-Cabane are worth a stop. The last part will make you discover a small woodland sheltered from the wind, on a windy but tranquil road. Back at the Salicorne Hostel by bus and on your way, stop at Holy Trinity Church, where you will notice on the stained glass windows that, like the fishermen of the village, Jesus put on his rubber boots. Dinner and night at the hostel. 16.7 km. Three meals included
- DAY 7: Hiking in Grosse-Île and Grande Entrée : Lunch at the hostel then departure by bus to the Salt Marshes in the National Wildlife Reserve just minutes from your hostel. Your hike begins with a beautiful trail that immerses you in a setting of wild vegetation and gorgeous dunes. You will come out through the sector of the Échouerie. Arriving at Old Harry, you can discover the huge beach of the Grande Échouerie. After crossing Old Harry Township, you will walk on the fabulous Boudreau Island. Along the beach that leads to the fishing port of Grande-Entrée (the most important of the Islands), you will discover beautiful landscapes. The La Pointe site offers many services in season. Finally, let yourself be carried by a good wind along the cliffs to the charming village church. Arrival at your hostel on foot. Festive dinner to mark the end of your trek and night at your hostel. 20.9 km. Three meals included
- DAY 8: Magdalen Islands to Montreal : Lunch at your hostel then transfer to the Island airport and flight to Montreal. Lunch included
The CRS Challenge program is a series of fundraising travel campaigns to benefit the cancer research. Program participants have the opportunity to take on physically challenging expeditions, and in the process dig a little deeper into their own souls. The challenge for participants is twofold: (1) to push their physical limits; and (2) to raise substantial funds for cancer research.